Friday, May 15, 2015

How to Find Employees - a thought leadership blog series from John Wentworth #3 THE MORALITY OF STEALING




#3: The Morality of Stealing
I remember when I first got a corporate HR job I was told that we could not direct source candidates. "It's against the rules!" people said. What rules, I wondered. And whose rules?

It turned out there were no rules. The rules were a myth made up by recruiters who were too shy or embarrassed (or lazy) to call candidates or sources of candidates. But there are still a lot of people today who feel direct sourcing is immoral.

Since I have earned my living by either doing or managing this poaching, I have spent a lot of time thinking about it.

My conclusion: it's a rough and tumble world. You either compete or you don't.

It's actually a little more complicated than that.
  • I think it's mandatory to tell the truth. Lying about a job or a company is just unacceptable to me and to our consultants.
  • I think it's important to value personal relationships more than recruiting, so we do not, for instance, approach employees of former clients within a very long contractually prohibited period...which usually means forever. Nor do we recruit from friends.
  • It's also very important to pay attention to the law which can frown severely on inducing someone to break their employment contract while also committing a fraudulent act.
So we do not solicit candidates directly. We ask for referrals. If they offer up themselves, we ask if they are contractually bound to their employer. If so, we back off. If not, we proceed with that person.

It's important, I think, to focus on the candidate's ability to say no. The only people who move to a new job are people who are not happy with their jobs. They either were already looking for a job, thinking about looking or were presented with an opportunity that, after interviewing and thinking about it, seemed like a better fit than their current job.

But here's the big point, to me: capitalism is competitive and that competition extends to recruiting employees.

If you are interested in how Wentworth can find people you cannot find, or teach your employees how to do it, please call me at 310 732 2301.

Thanks so much.

John
John Wentworth Signature



John Wentworth | President | 310 732 2301 | johnwentworth@wentco.com
The Wentworth Company, Inc. / Wentworth Recruiting | www.wentco.com

No comments:

Post a Comment